Friday, April 19, 2013

Aida vs Evenweave

Over at my Etsy store I am still playing around with techniques and ideas to create the best work that I can.  For my cross stitch work my preferred choice was 18 count aida. Here is an example of what a flower looks like on 18 count aida for reference (Husband's Note: This shows how much I know about cross stitch. When I first heard about aida, I kept thinking "Like, the musical?") (Husband's Note: In retrospect, that also probably tells you more about myself than I'd like =>.<=).



I have 14 count aida around the house and waste not want not, I have also used that. For beginners the smaller count size is better as you can get neater stitches when they are bigger. I am not a fan because of the size.

Anyway this weekend I learnt about Evenweave and armed with a 50 percent coupon to Joanns picked up some 28 count evenweave.

Now I am very British in some ways (Husband's Note: Don't believe it, she's Very British in LOTS of ways! Except for the fact that she doesn't like Monty Python or Benny Hill. I love her in spite of her failings, though.), especially when it comes to emotion. Unless I am around my husband and kids, I am rarely the first one to cry, laugh, show excitement. I am certainly not a hugger.  However, the results of this Evenweave have made me positively giddy (Husband's Note: It's true. She's spent the last four days sashaying around the house skipping and laughing The kids are disturbed and I'm starting to worry.). Here is another flower example:

 The left side shows the flowers on 14 count aida, the flowers of the right 28 count evenweave.  The size isn't really the only reason I love the evenweave.  Because it is so much smaller it looks a lot more like fabric.  All those holes are more hidden.

My mind is racing with all the things I can do with the evenweave (Husband's Note: Currently, things 1-47 are "Tell my husband about evenweave.").  I have already started playing again with the teapot cards as the design looks better.  Because of the size it will be easier to more text on the cards as I can fit more on.  The possibilities are endless and I cannot wait to get started!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah! I found your blog and shop over on Etsy and love the fact that you combine cross-stitching and paper crafts - two of my favorites as well! I'd love to follow your blog so I can keep up with your new creations but I don't see a widget that will allow me to do so. In the meantime I will subscribe to your blog on Google Reader and will follow you on Twitter. I look forward to seeing your newest creations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot Alissa. I will look into the widget. I just had a quick look at your blog, and will am favouriting it so I can take a closer look at it when I have more time just glancing through your work is amazing.

    ReplyDelete