Monday, October 22, 2012

Black Thread

So this is a little rant on using black embroidery thread as I have a love/hate relationship with it.
Just like in any form of art black is an essential colour but you have to be careful.
I have learnt that this is very true in cross stitching.  Now the first tip I have is if you are ever in a craft store and see Black embroidery thread, BUY IT!  Normally it is sold out. Once when I was in Micheals and was lucky enough to buy some the cashier got very excited and asked me how much was left and that she'd have to buy it up on her lunch break.  That didn't leave me feeling very confident on the chances of finding more very freqently. *



So, assuming you have been lucky enough to find some, on to incoporating it in the sewing.  I have found that you have to be extra careful with not having excess thread when you start or end a block.  If you leave the black threads loose they get picked up and are strong enough that they can be seen through the other lighter colours**.  This will often make the other colours look murkier and not as clean, just like if you were painting.  I tend to just try and keep the threads very short and not over use the black thread.



H xx
Husband's Notes:
* I hear Black Embroidery Thread is traded on the Nairobi Commodities Exchange. I'm being very bullish on it at the moment. I'll let you all know how that turns out.
** The more astute of you may have noticed that my wife spells "color" like a Fog-eating Limey. That's because she IS a Fog-eating Limey, and only I am allowed to call her that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment